The July 2023 39 Essex Chambers Mental Report is now out. Highlights this month include:
1. In the Health, Welfare and Deprivation of Liberty Report: an Anglo-Welsh LPS update and cases covering contingency planning, executive capacity, decision-specificity and restraining the detained patient;
2. In the Property and Affairs Report: Hayden J takes on common LPA problems, an MOJ toolkit and a rather startling assertion about the position of professional solicitor deputies;
3. In the Practice and Procedure Report: habitual residence under the spotlight, contempt and the Court of Appeal and the most recent Court of Protection statistics;
4. In the Wider Context Report: the LGSCO ombudsman and deprivation of liberty, Article 2 and DoLs, visiting in care homes, and a report from our new Irish correspondents;
5. In the Scotland Report: AWI masterclasses and the Scottish Government respondents to the Scott Report.
You can find our past issues, our case summaries, and more on our dedicated sub-site here, where you can also sign up to the Mental Capacity Report.
My walkthrough is below:
We will be taking a break from the Report until September, but will return then with all the capacity news that is fit to print.