Legal advice

Because of the arcane rules governing barristers in England and Wales, I can only accept instructions to act or advise via a solicitor.   I cannot recommend specific solicitors, but you can use the Law Society’s Find a Solicitor site to find solicitors who specialise in mental capacity and mental health law.   You may also find it useful to use the Court of Protection sections of Chambers and Partners or the Legal 500 to identify a solicitor who is truly specialist in the area – mental capacity law is full of pitfalls and I would strongly advise that you do your research before instructing a solicitor to assist you.  Despite the best efforts of the government to kill off legal aid, you will still find really excellent solicitors who are willing to act in publicly funded cases.  If you cannot get public funding, some solicitors may be willing to act pro bono (i.e. for free) or under a conditional fee agreement; you may also want to investigate whether the Bar Pro Bono Unit can help.  JUSTICE also has a very useful page for those looking for sources of help. You may also find the page CLA of use to see if you are eligible for legal aid.

If you are a solicitor wishing to instruct me to advise or act in a specific matter, please contact my clerks.  We have a dedicated and highly regarded Court of Protection team in Chambers so if I cannot help, it is very likely one of the others will be able to.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.