The October 2019 Mental Capacity Report will shortly be with subscribers. Highlights this month include:
(1) In the Health, Welfare and Deprivation of Liberty Report: the Supreme Court pronounces on confinement and 16/17 year olds and two important – and difficult – cases about sex;
(2) In the Property and Affairs Report: attorneys and gifts, and withholding knowledge of an application from P or another person;
(3) In the Practice and Procedure Report: the Court of Protection mediation scheme, and the inherent jurisdiction, necessity and proportionality;
(4) In the Wider Context Report: learning from a complex case about medical treatment for a child, the Irish Bournewood and an important shift from the CRPD Committee in the context of legal capacity;
(5) In the Scotland Report: developments in the context of the MHTS and sentencing in the presence of disability.
If you want more information on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which we frequently refer to in this Report, we suggest you go to the Small Places website run by Lucy Series of Cardiff University.