Welcome to the July 2017 Mental Capacity Reports.
Highlights this month include:
(1) In the Health, Welfare and Deprivation of Liberty Report: important decisions grappling with the meaning of best interests in the contexts of religious practices and delusional beliefs, and (finally) detailed statistics about s.21A/Re X cases;
(2) In the Property and Affairs Report: a new approach to severance and gifts;
(3) In the Practice and Procedure Report: changes to – and extension of the scope of – the Transparency Pilot and comments sought on a mediation pilot project;
(4) In the Wider Context Report: post-PJ problems, problems with care homes and capacity assessments and are moves really under way to change mental health laws?;
(5) In the Scotland Report: draft rules from Strathclyde Sheriff’s Court concerning AWI applications.
All of them are available here.
We are taking a break from editorial duties over summer, but will be back in early September. I will also provide updates on truly critical matters here.